Hey there! This post contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. But it never influences our product selection process.
Your Mustang is a beautiful piece of engineering. And if you’re a true enthusiast, you would know that some of the cars have trouble getting better efficiency.
Some of you enthusiasts just want a tuner for the sake of having one. But you might end up getting better output from your ride by using a tuner.
That said, electronic tuners are the current trend. You might use one of these to maximize the potential of your Ford Mustang. But it’s tough to select the best tuner for your Mustang.
You’ll find the best tuner for 4.6 Mustang here for your Ford. We had the chance to test our twenty different tuners. Then, we picked the top 7. You will also get a couple of different tips about the tuner and a neat buying guide towards the end.
So, buckle up and get ready to see how you can maximize your Mustang’s true potential.
- 1 Our Favorite Tuner for 4.6 Mustang
- 2 Quick Summary
- 3 Comparison Table
- 4 Top 7 Best Tuner for 4.6 Mustang Reviews
- 4.1 01. DiabloSport inTune i3 Platinum
- 4.2 02. SCT Performance 40490 Tuner and Monitor
- 4.3 03. Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer
- 4.4 04. DiabloSport 8245 inTune i3 Platinum
- 4.5 05. Tuner SCT X4 Power Flash Performance Programmer
- 4.6 06. Hypertech 3000 Power Programmer
- 4.7 07. Force Automotive Performance Programmer
- 5 Buying Guide
- 6 Performance Rating Table
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 8 Final Verdict
Our Favorite Tuner for 4.6 Mustang
- Best Mustang Tuner: DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum
- Top choice for Mustang GT: SCT Performance – 40490 – Tuner and Monitor
- Best value for money tuner: Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer
- The inTune i3 from DiabloSport wins in all aspects. It’s set to boost your torque and horsepower. And you will also see a subtle improvement in the throttle response department.
- If you’re solely looking for the best tuner for Mustang GT, then this one should do justice. It ticks most of the boxes to boost the exhaust valve and intake system performance. So this deserved a place on the podium.
- You probably get the most value out of this one from Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer. Its performance kind of makes up for the lack of a monitor on the device. But the cost-cutting happened at the right places.
DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum
SCT Performance 40490 Tuner and Monitor
Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer
DiabloSport 8245 inTune i3 Platinum
Tuner SCT X4 Power Flash Performance Programmer
Hypertech 3000 Power Programmer
Force Automotive Performance Programmer
Top 7 Best Tuner for 4.6 Mustang Reviews
Now that you know why you should be getting a tuner for your Mustang, let’s move into the Mustang tuner reviews.
01. DiabloSport inTune i3 Platinum
- Brand: DiabloSport
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Model Number: 8145
- Display Type: Responsive touch screen
The first on the list is the 8145 from DiabloSport. This one finished on top due to a couple of different reasons. And, the presence of pre-loaded tunes is a big reason.
It helps with some critical improvements like better throttle response and drivability. After testing this out, we also saw an improvement in the drivability department.
- Gives a proper power boost. After you set this up, you will get a decent boost in performance, and you don’t even need to pop the hood.
- Improved throttle response. It wasn’t a dramatic difference, but we did see a slight improvement.
- Capitalizes on the bottom-end horsepower. So you should get a better drivability experience.
- It comes preloaded with some tunes. The additional torque and horsepower can be achieved without tools.
- The shift firmness is adjustable. You can easily adjust the firmness to your liking.
- You might notice a couple of misfires here and there. But it’s not a consistent problem so you shouldn’t worry about it.
- You will have to go through a steep learning curve. But you can probably learn the basics quite fast.
02. SCT Performance 40490 Tuner and Monitor
- Dimension: 4.25 x 6.75 x 6.25 inches
- Weight: 15.5 ounces
- Brand: SCT
- Model Number: 40490
- Display Type: Heads up display
Up next, we have this one from SCT. You might have seen this coming. If you’re a proud Mustang GT owner, I think this one can serve you well.
It’s got a few tune files that you can use for your Mustang. And the 20 tuning file capacity impressed us, honestly. You can always go back to stock easily too.
- Decent customizability. You can keep 20 tuning files on the device.
- Comes with multiple preloaded tunes. You can use the tunes that can set the stats to some specifics.
- If you’re equipped with Wi-Fi, software updates will get downloaded onto your
- The heads-up display is decent. You can view the necessary details on display.
- Provides a bit more power. We came across slightly better mileage on our Mustang too.
- Not a lot of HP added. It might not seem enough if you’re a performance enthusiast.
- You will not get custom tunes already made for you.
03. Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer
- Dimension: 8 x 0.5 x 6 inches
- Weight: 5 ounces
- Brand: Innovative Performance Chips
- Display Type: No monitor
Coming in at third place is this one from Innovative Performance Chips. Now, hold on a second, you might not like the lack of a display on this one. But the features that it offers for the stated price is kind of interesting, to say the least.
The mileage improvement along with the upgrades to HP makes this a tough competitor. Even the throttle response seemed to be better with this device installed.
- A subtle boost in HP is apparent. You might get unexpected performance improvements.
- We observed a decent improvement when it comes to the throttle response. It felt smoother when I stepped on the gas.
- Good compatibility. Although we tried it out with a couple of Mustangs, it seems to work with most Mustang engines.
- Simple to setup and install. We could set it up without any professional help, so we’re hoping you could do the same.
- Decent improvement when it comes to mileage. It’s not groundbreaking, but it’s pretty apparent.
- The improvement in mileage isn’t groundbreaking. But you can get worse options out there.
- Following all the technical stuff might be tricky. But you can overcome this with a bit of perseverance.
04. DiabloSport 8245 inTune i3 Platinum
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
- Brand: DiabloSport
- Model Number: 8245
- Display Type: Responsive touch screen
Next up, we have another one from DiabloSport. This one is quite similar to the one on top of the table. But some of its cons made it finish outside a podium spot.
It’s priced the same as the one on top of the list. But it does have some drawbacks. For example, you won’t be able to use this one on E-Assist or hybrid versions. It could have been the best tuner for 4.6 Mustang for economy mileage if not for the drawbacks.
- You can set custom tunes. So you can choose whatever settings you like for your Mustang.
- It’s user-friendly. We found out that driving conservatively gave a boost to fuel efficiency.
- It comes with multiple preloaded tunes. You can also choose to load new custom tunes as per your choice.
- The “Diablo Tune” provides you a huge performance upgrade across all departments.
- Easy to use. You can change the settings quickly if you’re not feeling it.
- You need a software update before it starts to function. It’s not a huge problem, you just need to wait a bit.
- Sometimes, it might have trouble trying to connect to Wi-Fi.
05. Tuner SCT X4 Power Flash Performance Programmer
- Dimension: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1.09 pounds
- Brand: Tuner
- Display Type: Full-color LCD
Coming in at number five is this one from Tuner SCT. It’s one of their top-tier offerings. And we expected more from it, honestly. But it still performed above average to end up on this list.
You might have seen a lot of SCT X4 tuner reviews. Here’s our take on it. Aside from the backlit display, you will see improvements in throttle response, fuel economy, and horsepower.
- Improves the horsepower. It’s not a day and night difference, but you’ll notice it once you’re done setting up.
- The display is wide. So, you can see all the necessary information on the screen. Some of the cheaper options don’t provide you this feature.
- We were able to store around ten custom tunes. Picking any one of them is easy since the tuner is easy to operate.
- It’s got Wi-Fi built-in. So you can rest assured with the OTA updates.
- Improves torque and throttle response. You might see a huge difference once you’re done with the installation.
- It doesn’t come cheap. But it’s among the average pricing, so you can probably save up a couple of more bucks.
- It might not be compatible with all Mustang models. But you should be safe if you know your vehicle in and out.
06. Hypertech 3000 Power Programmer
- Dimension: 9.06 x 5.28 x 2.6 inches
- Weight: 14.4 ounces
- Brand: Hypertech
- Model: 3000
- Display Type: 4.3″ color screen
Hypertech’s 3000 Max looks a lot like an infotainment system if you’re just checking the pictures. But that wasn’t enough for it to snatch a higher-up spot on the list.
Underneath that big display, it’s a tuner with the basic features. But you might not get radical improvements in all cases.
- The display is the largest on the list. You can get all the readings in one place.
- You will notice a slight improvement in mileage. It’s nothing radical, but you will notice it anyway.
- The tuner allows you to read and clear trouble codes. So you might be able to turn off that annoying check engine light.
- Decent tuning for towing. But I don’t know why you would be willing to tow with your Mustang. Maybe in emergencies?
- Allows you to unleash all factory settings of the Mustang. So you might be able to witness the American horse run like crazy.
- It requires a working PC before setting up. So you need more time before getting it to work.
- It takes a bit longer to install. But it’s only a one-time thing. So it shouldn’t be that concerning.
07. Force Automotive Performance Programmer
- Dimension: 8 x 5 x 1 inches
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Brand: Force Automotive Group
- Model: 57202XP
- Display Type: No display
Finally, we have this one from Force Automotive. It’s another one of those cheaper tuners that don’t come with a display.
But I think it’s a Ford Mustang tuner that tried to do too much for too little. It might have come in a bit earlier on our list if it focused on a couple of aspects instead of all.
- Improves mileage decently. It’s not a huge improvement. But you won’t fail to notice it.
- Provides a subtle HP upgrade. If you’re a true performance maniac, this might entice you.
- It’s simple to install. You can get it started in less than an hour.
- The compatibility is good. We tried it out with a couple of different Mustang models, and the tuner worked well.
- Affordable tuner. You get a ton of value from this one if you’re comparing it to the others.
- It only provides subtle improvements. You won’t see any radical performance changes after installing this one.
- Might have trouble connecting at times. But it shouldn’t be a consistent issue.
Now that you’re done going through the reviews, it’s time to pick a tuner from the store, right? Well, not so fast. You still have a few steps to go through. Here, we’ll be talking about some of the factors that matter when you’re trying to pick a tuner for your Mustang.
The Brand Matters:
The first thing that you should think about is the brand of the tuner. The market is saturated with a ton of brands now. And we can’t say for sure which brand makes the best tuners for Mustangs.
But there are a couple of renowned brands that you should consider. All the brands that we’ve featured in our list are commendable. So things shouldn’t go wrong for you if you’re picking any one of these.
Just don’t settle for the non-branded tuner. They might entice you with the best pricing, but most of them won’t last you long.
Which Mustang You Got?
Well, not all of the Mustangs will work with particular tuners. Most tuners are designed for specific ranges of cars. And the Mustang models are multiple.
It’s possible that your engine isn’t compatible with the tuner that you just bought. That’s like throwing away a couple of hundred dollars into the water.
A tuner that was made before 2015 might not work with the EcoBoost Mustangs. These cars would want you to pick a newer tuner.
The Tunes You’ll Need:
While some of the tuners come with in-built tunes, not all of them will. You can get preloaded tunes with most of the renowned brands. And if a tuner does not have the particular tune that you want, you might as well not waste money on that.
Make sure that the tuner you pick has the tune you want. If you’re a newbie, messing with custom tunes shouldn’t be the brightest thing to do. You can mess things up quite quickly.
But if you’re adamant about selecting a custom tune, I recommend that you leave things to the professionals. Speak with people who work superficially on Mustang tuning. Those guys know what they’re doing and would happily help you out for a reasonable price, I hope.
Do You Need All the Mods?
Now, tell me, do you really need every single mod for your Mustang? I mean, is it normal to try and boost everything that might correspond to a performance improvement?
Well, the easy answer is yes. But compatibility is the issue. If the tuner can’t tune HP, then you should look for a different tuner. There are also dedicated tuners for certain parts. So you need all the research that you can cram into your brain for this one.
Which Type of Tuner Should You Get?
Let’s talk about the types of tuners now. And with Mustangs being offered to your dad back in the 80s and now to you, it’s important to know which one you’re getting.
There are the older SCT chip tuners from back in the day. These are the ones that work with the 1989 Mustang versions. The newer tuners have the SCT X4 chips. So, if you own a Mustang from 2019, the newer chip will matter.
And when it comes to the EcoBoost versions, you need the brand new “COBB access port V3” equipped tuners. This is more compatible with the 2015-2016 Mustangs.
Performance Rating Table
|Product||Throttle Response||Mileage||Preloaded Tunes||Performance|
|DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum||9.8||9.7||9.5||9.9|
|SCT Performance – 40490 – Tuner and Monitor||9.7||9.6||9.7||9.8|
|Innovative Performance Chips Power Programmer||9.5||9.6||9.6||9.7|
|DiabloSport 8245 inTune i3 Platinum||9.4||9.5||9.5||9.6|
|Tuner SCT X4 Power Flash Performance Programmer||9.3||9.4||9.4||9.5|
|Hypertech 3000 Power Programmer||9.2||9.3||9.3||9.4|
|Force Automotive Performance Programmer||9.1||9.2||9.2||9.3|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In this section, we’ll be answering some of the most asked questions about the tuners for Mustangs.
Will I get additional HP from a tuner?
Yes, a good-quality tuner will improve the horsepower of your engine if you’re driving a Mustang. A realistic range would be around 12-35 horsepower/TQ. This might not translate to mind-blowing performance, but it’s apparent. Although the additional HP might not sound like a lot, you have to consider the fact that this is just unleashing the true potential of your Mustang. It’s not built for dramatic changes.
Can I see any throttle response improvements with a tuner?
Yes, some big-name companies will make tuners that provide you the capability to upgrade the throttle response. While the difference might not be surreal, you will definitely see an improvement.
Will I be able to tune my Mustang without any issues?
It’s normal to be skeptical if this is your first time tuning a Mustang. But tuners actually do quite a good job when it comes to real-world performance improvements.
Will there be any changes in my drivability?
Some tuners will improve the overall drivability for you. So it’s normal to see subtle improvements. I mean, you won’t feel like you’re driving a million-dollar vehicle after purchasing a four-hundred-dollar tuner. But there is certainly something different about unleashing a Mustang’s true potential.
Should I buy a pre-tuned Mustang?
If you have the expertise of knowing whether it’s been tuned before or not, then why not? The most common way to check this is by looking at the rev limiter. The modifiers would usually increase this rev limit and set it to a digit that isn’t standard from the factory.
That’s it from us. We’ve tried to be neutral towards all the tuners that we featured here. All seven of the tuners featured on this list can provide your Mustang with a performance improvement.
Whether you want better mileage, better throttle response, or improved horsepower, these tuners can do it. But you can only select one best tuner for 4.6 Mustang. And, honestly, that can be any one of these depending on you.
So, pick any one of these depending on your budget and the features that you must have. Good luck and don’t forget to drive safely!
OUR #1 RECOMMENDATION
DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum
If you’re still confused about which one you should get, we’re happy to help you out. We’re going to recommend the top one on our list. It’s the 8145 from DiabloSport.
It provides subtle improvements across all fields. Other than the improvement in torque and HP, you might also see a better throttle response. And if you play your cards right, there’s a chance that you will see optimized drivability.
- RAV4 Prime Heating Problems: 5 Reasons and Solutions! - September 5, 2022
- 3 Ways on How to Open RAV4 Trunk With Dead Battery! - September 4, 2022
- Buzzing Sound Under Car When Off – All Reasons And Solutions! - September 4, 2022